Childhood Injury Prevention, Healthy Weights and Mental Health issues have been identified by Canadians as emerging health priorities. Using a social determinants of health framework, Family Place works to address these emerging health needs within its programs and services across Cape Breton Island and beyond.
Evidence continues to build that suggests a social determinants of health perspective needs to be embedded in the work that we do in order to address the needs of all of our citizens. The research and evidence is strong and has been helpful in shaping our programs and services.
Some key resources that guide this approach to the work and that you may also find helpful in your work include:
- Social Determinants of Health – Underlying Premises and Evidence Tables
- World Conference on the Social Determinants of Health – World Health Organization Final Report and Summary Report (October 2011)
- Social Determinants of Health – The Canadian Facts
- The Social Determinants of Injury
- Out of the Shadows at Last – The Social Determinants of Mental Health
- Social Determinants of Health and Healthy Weights – A FPT Framework for Action to Promote Healthy Weights